Friday, December 01, 2006

Ministry Checklist

(A quick review for all those involved in church ministry.)

  1. Am I starting to shortcut on prayer and Bible study (because these are the things no-one sees me doing)?

    2. Am I giving time to people from every section of the church – or starting to spend it predominately with those I’m most comfortable with?

    3. Am I giving time to the very important but not urgent parts of ministry (e.g. expansive reading & personal evangelism)?

    4. Am I in danger of equating my ‘success’ in ministry and ‘value’ in the church with being affirmed and popular?

    5. Am I keeping evangelism as a priority in my ministry and church-life (The evangelistic temperature of a church will never rise above that of its leaders)?

    6. Am I loving everyone in the church (seeing Christ in them and responding on that basis)?

    7. Am I in danger of letting primary spiritual care of my wife and children be neglected or pass to others?

    8. Am I staying focused on my ministry priorities or just doing whatever comes up (your no’s give value to your yes’s)?

    9. Am I being ‘an unhurried pastor’ or am I starting to ‘run around’ without thoughtful reflection?

    10. Am I always willing ‘to make the effort’ (and with a smile)?

    11. Am I being gracious and sensitive to the needs and feeling of others while not just becoming a people-pleaser?

    12. Am I remembering that ‘what I am on my knees before God is what I am and nothing more’?

    13. Am I listening to people, remembering and praying about what they say (5 mins of undistracted attention is worth more than half an hour of banal small talk)?

    14. Am I keeping my ministry fresh and developing or is it becoming stale and repetitive? (e.g. sermons / goals / activities).

    15. Am I in danger of this list making me feel guilty – and forgetting its purpose is simply to prompt and encourage.

No comments: