Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Art Attack

Just a follow-on to my previous blog on Bridget McConnel and the exhibition at the Glasgow Museum of Modern Art – with its invitation for people to write comments over an open Bible. The need for Christians to respond with grace does not obscure, however, just how inappropriate and provocative towards Christians this use of public space and money was. It was especially galling in that was backed by institutions and personnel who are quick to advocate the values of ‘community’ and ‘respect’.

For example, suppose as a private citizen I see the Koran as standing in opposition to my personal beliefs. So I decide to get a copy of the Koran and write disparaging comments over it about the Muslim faith. I then go round my neighbours, some of whom I know will be Muslims, and say, ‘hey, I’m having an open house and have an exibit of the Koran on display – why don’t you drop by’. I mean, I could only possibly do such a thing on the basis that: (1) I’m happy to see those Muslim neighbours offended and upset, and (2) that my relationship with them will almost inevitably suffer for the sake of a point-scoring gesture.

You see just because an idea seems to be ‘clever’ or ‘artistic’ and just because there is nothing to stop you doing it – doesn’t legitimise it. All the more so when the space you are using is public space funded by all the council-tax payers you represent. One would have hoped that those claiming to champion the values of ‘Community & Respect’ would understand such distinctions better than they appear to do.

2 comments:

オテモヤン said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Donald Ferguson said...

An excellent blog. I think that this is a subject that we will be returning to in the future.