Monday, October 19, 2009

A prayer for our children

Heavenly Father

I want to pray for my child(ren) and lift them up before you now.

I pray not that they might have wealth, or be academically outstanding, or have a successful career. I pray not that they will be popular - or even that they will live comfortably and be free of stress and harships.

But I pray that they will know you, love you and serve you - that they will be followers of Jesus, men and women of God with the hope of heaven in their hearts. Grant it that they might know none of this world's achievements if they would in any way come between them and following Jesus Christ wholeheartedly.

Lord, you know that even as I pray these things that a huge part of me is pulling away from them. My motives are mixed - I want it all, and fear the cost of discipleship for myself & my children. But Lord hold me to my word - and honour those right and true things I have prayed for - even when other parts of me were crying 'no'.

Amen

No comments: