Monday, May 09, 2011

Cambridge Change

'Cambridge Change' is the idea of something remaining the same yet changing in regard to other things. So, for example, last year I was taller than John - but this year (because John has grown) I'm shorter than him. I have not changed yet I have lost a property, a feature, a characteristic of my previous being. Cambridge Change is an important concept in theology - it shows how God might seem to change in relation to ourselves and yet be changeless in Himself.

I heard it whispered recently that the church I'm in was being seen by some as 'increasingly right wing' (theologically speaking I hasten to add). Which is odd because I didn't think it had particularly moved in any new direction theologically in recent years. It seems to me to not be being 'increasingly' anything different theologically from what it has been in the past. Maybe 'Cambridge change' is the real change here?

After all, 40 years ago if you agreed with the general theological position and beliefs of people like John Stott, Martin Lloyd-Jones, JI Packer and Leon Morris you would have been called 'Evangelical'. Now if you hold the same general thinking you are required to be called 'conservative Evangelical'. Interesting!

4 comments:

Kirsty said...

What's the definition of 'theologically right wing'?

Andy Hunter said...

Thanks Kirsty, good question. I suppose in the context quoted it means a strong commitment and stand on traditionally understood evangelical theology (as expounded by those like Packer & Grudem for example)- whether on the Sovereignty of God, the instrinsic sinfulness of humanity, the need for conversion, the finality of hell, the authority of Scripture, the penal substitutionary work of Christ, among other things. The preceived theological 'right wingness' of this would be componded in the eyes of some by any lack openness towards more liberal or revisionist views on such subjects.

Ian Watson said...

"Right wing" in this context can also mean to be seen to be emphasing Truth over Grace. Though the Lord Jesus was said to be full of both, it is hard for us not to hold on to one at the expense of the other.

Bearz said...

I looked up the Rob Bell book on Amazon, because I want to be fully part of the public discource on books, not party to some evangelical or conservative being cornered, intellectually. It seems to me that if anyone wants to believe in hell then s/he should never ever think that they are above being sent there...