Thursday, August 13, 2009

Zambia Calling (3)

George Verwer speaking at the PABCM, Zambia (13/8/09)

Day 8

Spent yesterday morning standing in slow African bank queues - Lloyds-TSB had decided not to risk my account being plundered in deepest Africa and refused my card (I suppose I should be grateful). So after visiting two banBoldks and a phone call to London I can get money again.

On Monday I lead a workshop on 'Building Uniy in Leadership Teams' - again my apprehension was that I would miss the mark coming into an African context. Not to mention I was given 1hr 30mins - like I've got an hour & a half of material on 'Team Building'! But our African brothers thankfully had plenty to say and we actually ran out of time. I can confirm that the Brethren are alive and well here - a brother from Congo DR wanted me to settle a dispute in his church about whether the Communion cup should be one shared cup or if individual ones are ok. I made some general comments about 'matters of judgement & grace'. Then another brother stood up and said, 'but you've not answered his question, what is he to use?'

This week is the Pan-African Brethen Conf on Missions - and we've been blessed with challenging ministry and inspiring reports from the African missionaries in Southern Africa. George Verwer is here and if he's nervous about speaking after me on Saturday he's covering it well.

Why is Western Discipleship so weak? Because we don't follow it through - we all say we believe God is provider but stop there. Do we really believe it? - if so why are so many of us resisting God's call to serve for financial reasons? And as for evangelism....

No comments: